Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Summer Recipe: Mangoes

I love mangoes and noticed at Kroger they have been 10 for $10. I've taken advantage of them being cheaper, since usually they are almost $3 each! Here are two of my favorite ways to use mangoes! 


*You may have to watch a YouTube video on how to cute a mango! haha or here is a quick link: 


http://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/how_to_cut_a_mango/



Mango Salsa: 


Sorry my picture isn't too pretty! 
Ingredients:
2-4 ripe mangoes cubed
1/2-1 pepper (I've used red, green, and yellow) chopped
1/2 small purple onion chopped
1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced
3 T cilantro
2 T lime juice
1/2 t salt 
1/4 t pepper
*I almost always add extra lime juice and salt*


Directions:
Stir together. Cover and chill for several hours. 


Serve with chips, salmon, or fish tacos! 

Asian Mango Slaw: 




Ingredients: 
2 cups shredded cabbage 
*I use the bags of broccoli slaw mix. I like the taste of the broccoli better than 
cabbage*
1/2 cup shredded carrots
1-2 mangoes, *not fully ripe*
3 T rice vinegar
1/2 lime juiced
1 T soy sauce *gluten free*
1 T sesame oil
1 t or more sesame seeds


Directions: 
1. Whisk together the vinegar, soy sauce, and lime juice.
2. Mix slaw mix with mangoes in large bowl
3. Pour dressing mix over slaw
4. Let set in refrigerator for 20-30 minutes. 
5. Sprinkle with sesame seeds and serve.


Serve with spicy shrimp, fish, or we even had it with steak on the 4th of July! 

No comments:

Post a Comment